The name of London Hat Week official exhibition series came from the historical event that took place in London in 1851 – ‘The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations’ or ‘The Great Exhibition’. It was the first in a series of World’s Fairs, exhibitions of culture and industry that became popular in the 19th century, and it was a much-anticipated event. We celebrate world cultural heritage in magnificent hat designs at The Great Hat Exhibition series. Following last year’s exhibition where over 1200 hat lovers enjoyed the 200 hats created by milliners from 30 countries, we are pleased to announce the theme for 2019 London Hat Week official exhibition – ‘The Great Hat Exhibition – World Garden’. We invite milliners from around the world to showcase hats inspired by nature, for thousands of visitors to see the world on the hats created by you. The exhibition entry requirements are: the hats must incorporate exotic, exquisite, intriguing flowers, plants, or landscape scenes. For example: A rose garden, a nature reserve, a field of lavender. The exhibition will be set up with a form of themed gardens for London hat lovers to be immersed in a journey across continents, and enjoy the wonderful colours and forms of nature captured by you. The exhibition will be held at Menier Gallery, a central London venue within walking distance of some of the most celebrated London landmarks, The Shard, Tate Modern and London Bridge.
We invite milliners from all over the world to showcase their beautiful creations…inspired by an aspect of the natural world in their chosen country.
Fill in the application form below to showcase your hat in the exhibition!
To buy tickets to the exhibition click here
To buy spaces to sell your hats in the pop up shop click here
Application deadline now extended until 9th December 2018.
(entries will close at 9:00 GMT on 10th Dec 2018)
Applications are now closed! Thank you to all the milliners who submitted their hats!
Terms and Conditions
1) Please note that the application is for one hat only, if you wish to submit more for consideration, you need to fill in the form again.
2) All hats for consideration must have been inspired by or incorporate one or more cultural references to your chosen country to be qualified (does not need to be your home country).
3) Please supply two clear images of your creation with the application form for consideration (showing hat from different angles against a plain background, each no smaller than 1MB, no larger than 2MB), you must also include a reference image showing your inspiration.
4) You will be informed by email which of your hat(s) have been selected.
5) A non-refundable £120 application entry fee for each chosen hat to be paid upon receiving a confirmation email of successful application. You will receive an invitation for you to join us at the Private View Party on Tuesday 2nd April before the exhibition opens to public (you will be able to purchase 1 additional ticket at a cost of £25 to bring one guest to the Private View Party).
6) If you have selected that your exhibited hat is to be marked ‘for sale’ during the exhibition, you agree to pay X Terrace a commission fee of 35% of the sale price (no additional card payment fees will be charged), in the event that your hat is purchased during the exhibition. Hats sold will be displayed for the duration of the exhibition and collected by the buyer after the exhibition has ended.
7) Entry fees will be used to cover venue hire (central London, ground floor location), storage, display props, staff, marketing, graphic design and printing of catalogues, postcards, tickets, press packs, and Private View Party and Press Preview Event organisation and catering costs.
8) 100+ London based fashion stylists, editors, photographers, press, designers, and buyers will be invited to the Private View Party to view your creations.
9) Please include your social media account details to be featured online through X Terrace Fashion Platform. You can also follow us on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook @xterrace to be followed back.
10) Successful entries to be announced via email on Sunday 16th Decemeber 2018.
11) All selected hats must arrive before Wednesday 23rd January 2019. You may drop off your hat in person by prior arrangement only.
12) Any import/export taxes incurred must be paid by the designers. If you are sending from outside EU, please make sure you fill in the customs invoice correctly in order to avoid customs delays and charges.
13) Hats will be returned using one of the following couriers: FedEx, UPS, DHL, DPD, ParcelForce, Royal Mail. Unless you instruct otherwise hats will be sent using the cheapest option and include £50 insurance per hat. You agree to pay for return shipping and we will invoice you for the cost price (Read further details on sending/returning hats).
14) X Terrace Fashion Platform will not accept liability for any damage caused to the hats either in transit or during the exhibition, or for any injury caused by the hats to the public. Please arrange your own insurance if you wish to be covered in the event of damage.
15) Designers who intend to pick up their hat(s) in person may do so by prior arrangement on Saturday 13th April 2019, from 1pm-4pm only. If do not come at this time we cannot guarantee the return of your hat.
16) Any enquiries regarding to your application submission please email: email@example.com
Thanks for your interest. We look forward to receiving your application and to seeing your beautiful hat designs!